Sunday, November 23, 2014

Nov. 17th to Nov. 23rd

Monday, 11/17--Off

Tuesday, 11/18--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

4 x 5 min. @ 10k pace w/2:30 rests, ~50 minutes w/warm up and cool down

Fartleks always seem to feel harder than they should.  We were running roughly 6 min/mile pace, but it felt like 5:40s.  I suppose its running in the dark, or on very slight inclines.  It's definitely a good work out.

Wednesday, 11/19--University Mt.

3,455', 1:38

I felt really good today.  In fact, I summitted South Sentinel in under 29 minutes, which almost matches my tempo effort, but the effort felt moderate.  I think it was the warmer temps/running with less weight in clothes that made me kind of fast today.  Conditions were better on University, hit the summit in 57 minutes and snapped some pictures.  Such a beautiful day.  Went at a good but slightly leisurely clip back home.

Thursday, 11/20--South Sentinel

1,850', 43 minutes

This was a little more purposefully fast, but not quite tempo effort.  Summit in under 28 minutes, down in under 16.  This felt pretty good, but I'm still having trouble knowing when to trust the snow and when not to on the downhill.  I took the shortcut, my rationale being since the ground is snow covered I'm not actually creating a trail.  It's a flawed rationale, but I really love that shortcut.

Friday, 11/21--South Sentinel to Fire Road and back

2,950', 1:12

A moderate effort on some steep stuff today.  The snow made for a couple tricky sections on the descent to the Fire Road, but I was surprised at how runnable it was.  I think the descent back home was a little faster today--getting used to this slippery compact snow thing.

Saturday, 11/22--South Sentinel to Fire Road, Sentinel Gulch to Summit and back

4,193', 1:45

This week has just felt goood!  I think it's the cooler temps combined with the lower volume of running (I expected this workout to be 10 minutes longer).  It was a bit windy, with a very slight bit of rain--the only super windy part was Pengelly Ridge.  Muddy trails today.

Sunday, 11/23--University Mt.

3,455', 1:47

Icy!  Once I got past South Sentinel summit, the rest of the trip was more icy than expected (spikes-worthy).  I made it, but it was a little slow going, with some x-country bits to avoid the icier trail.  Beautiful day--light snow falling on University summit.



15,903', 7:55

This has been my most vert. in a week in just over a month!  I'm taking a short hiatus soon, and the snow's coming, so I suppose I was a little vert. happy this week.  I've never done this much anywhere near this late in the year.  Good week!



These are my hill shoes.  Wear in the back, wear in the front, not much in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment