Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sept. 1st to Sept. 7th

Monday, 9/1--Wrangle Creek Loop w/Mosquito Peak Counterclockwise

5,095', 6:08

After a late morning start (10 AM), I set off for 15 miles of flat before getting to the basin below Mosquito Peak.  I started off well, hitting Franklin Bridge at 1:04, and the Wrangle Creek/Lake Creek junction at 2:04, but all that flat running killed my energy, and I took the rest of the run pretty leisurely, stopping to look at the map just out of curiosity and taking a lot of pictures.  I missed Mosquito Peak and had to double back to tag it, but it didn't add on much extra time.

Tuesday, 9/2--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

5 x 1k @ 5k pace + 400 @ mile pace, 2 minute rests, ~50 minutes

This workout went pretty well.  It felt a little slow, but it was consistent.  I ran 3:36s (18 minute 5k pace) for the first 4, and 3:31 for the last 1k, with a 75 second quarter at the end.  A little slow might have just meant I was actually running the splits I should be running, since I've never done a 5k in under 18 minutes.

Wednesday, 9/3--Off

Thursday, 9/4--Smokejumper Loop w/Jimmy and John

1,978', 1:23

A casual, conversational run with some of the Flying J's (my term for the surprising number of fast Missoulian runners with a first name that starts with J).  It was good to see John out again, and good just to run with people.  I think this was my first non-solo run in over a month.

Friday, 9/5--Off

Saturday, 9/6--South Sentinel

1,883', 41:28

I didn't start running until past ten, which seemed a little late for a PR attempt, but it worked out.  From my apartment door, I hit the summit via Sentinel Fire Road and Pengelly in 27:32, and ran down in 13:56.  While I marginally shaved time off of my old ascent record (27:45), I took almost a minute off my old descent record (14:50).  This was a huge confidence builder for my downhilling, since I ran down almost as fast as my descent via the shortcut that's since been blocked off (13:38).  If I ascend Lone Peak at the same rate of vertical as I did South Sentinel, I should break 50 minutes (for the 3400' ascent).  It's higher altitude, but a steeper, faster climb with heavy competition.  48 minutes seems like a good goal.  A downhill race on that route would probably be too dangerous, but I might fare better against the competition.

Sunday, 9/7--St. Mary Peak Exploring

3,313', 2:08

I took this run pretty casual, just going for time rather than vertical.  After hitting the summit, I was about ready to go back down and do some repeats when I noticed a really fun looking ridgeline to the west, with a short techy section traversing over.  I ran along the ridge until it got back below treeline, then scouted out the long cross country traverse over to the Heavenly Twins a bit.  It looks doable, but slow.  I talked to the guy manning the fire lookout, and learned that people sometimes go from St. Mary all the way down to the Kootenai Creek trail.  That could be a fun long run with a shuttle, if the trees weren't too bad.

12,269', 11:11

Another easy week, with the less gain I've done in months.  I feel pretty good, but don't really want to build any expectations for The Rut.  The Vertical K is pretty easy to set a goal for, 48 minutes, but the 50k is radically different from last year.  My hope is just to represent Montana well.  There are way too many fast guys in the race (Kilian, Sage, Alex Nichols, Paul Hamilton, Adam Campbell, Rickey Gates, Jason Delaney, Luke Nelson, Nick Elson, Team Nike, etc., plus the fast women--Ellie Greenwood, Anna Frost, Emelie Forsberg, etc.) that I can't reliably predict what position I might be in.  Top 20 would be nice, but even that's out there.  Besides Montana Cup, this will be the most competitive race I've ever been in.  Exciting for sure!

Rattlesnake Canyon

Glacier Lake


Rattlesnake Wilderness

The ridgeline from St. Mary Peak summit

The big traverse over to the Heavenly Twins

Looking back at St. Mary

Techy!

Not a bad place to live for awhile


Bummed I miss these folks when they were in town a few months ago:







No comments:

Post a Comment