Sunday, August 31, 2014

Aug. 25th to Aug. 31st

Monday, 8/25--Off

Tuesday, 8/26--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

2 x 600, 400, 300, 200 with short rests and a 5 min. rest between sets @ mile pace, 50 minutes

The legs still felt kind of heavy from last weekend's outing to Big Sky, but I was able to stay between 4:35 and 5:05 pace, setting some PRs for short distances (69 second lap!).  I was surprised to be able to pull off those kind of laps, but there were some fast guys to chase and I feel like I had a better capacity to dig deep than in previous workouts.  I'll need to make sure not to get overeager to gauge my fitness throughout this taper, and plan to just have 1-2 quality days per week, even when the legs start feeling pep again.

Wednesday, 8/27--Up South Sentinel, Down Sentinel and Back

4,020', 1:59

A slow hill climbing run in the midday heat.  I felt sore from yesterday, so I just took it easy.  I'd never run more than maybe half a mile at sub 5 minute pace, and yesterday was nearly two miles total at sub 5 pace.  It's a different kind of sore than I've been used to, which is good.  I need to keep it hard easy hard easy.

Thursday, 8/28--South Sentinel + North Ridge

3,023', 1:28

Up South Sentinel, down the North Ridge a ways and back.  Legs felt okay, but not great, so I just took it easy.  My quads have been feeling really heavy when I start climbing immediately after descending, but it goes away after a few hundred feet of up.

Friday, 8/29--South Sentinel + a bit of gratuitous vert.

2,011', 1:01

Another easy run, up to the top of South Sentinel + a bit extra up to get over 2,000 vert.  This may have been my slowest ascent to the summit (~37 minutes), but I need an easy day.

Saturday, 8/30--South Sentinel, North Ridge, Sentinel Gulch + 1,000' on Sentinel

5,096', 2:20

The legs had some pep!  I hit the summit in 34 minutes at what felt like an easy pace, went down the North Ridge, up Sentinel Gulch, and descended Sentinel for 1,000' before turning back around.  The temps were a little cooler than what I've been running in, but I think taking it easy has finally paid off, and I'm finally showing signs of recovery from two big weeks.  Now I just need to make sure not to overdo it (the massive load of schoolwork is helping).

Sunday, 8/31--South Sentinel, North Ridge, Sentinel Gulch, Sentinel

5,968', 2:37

Getting some steep in quick felt pretty good.  This was an early afternoon run, so it was a bit of a sweat fest.  Everything was a bit faster than yesterday, and I think I set a PR running down Sentinel (not sure of the exact time, 12:something).  I could have worked on the uphills more, but overall the run was fast enough to be considered a quality workout.  Windy.

20,118', 10:15

A relatively low volume, low time commitment week, with the legs feeling more energetic every day.  This was also a week without travel, every run being done from my apartment.  Part of this is due to a heavy load of schoolwork, and partly due to some financial constraints after buying several hundred dollars of textbooks.  Travel will be pretty restricted for the rest of the year, except for races.

No Pictures (You all know what Sentinel looks like)

I've been waiting for this--Strand of Oaks Live on KEXP:


No comments:

Post a Comment