Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sept. 8th to Sept. 14th

Monday, 9/8--Mt. Sentinel

1,970', 33:12

I blew away my old best on this hill, from April, by over 5 minutes today, during the heat of the day (5-5:30, 75 degrees).  Things went very well.  My goal was to break 24 minutes up and 12 down, but splits were 22:46 up and 10:26 down, for a climb rate of about 5,200 ft./hr., and a descent rate of about 11,300 ft./hr.  I was pushing, but I could definitely run this faster, especially in cooler weather.  Someone really good at hills could break 30 minutes round trip on Sentinel.  This makes me both feel ready for The Rut and excited for the Sentinel Hill Climb next month.

Tuesday, 9/9--Off

Wednesday, 9/10--Crooked Canyon

841', 42 minutes

An easy out and back just past the cabin, turning around at the single track.  Legs felt good, weather was cold and rainy despite being midday.

Thursday, 9/11--Off

Friday, 9/12--Lone Peak Vertical K, 9th place

3,635', 54:08 (ascent only)

This went well!  I started off a little conservatively, and passed a few guys between the top of Swiftcurrent and the summit, but Salomon athlete Philip Reiter passed me in the last 1,000' of climbing, and put about 20 seconds on me by the summit.  Trying to chase Philip down helped me to speed up a bit, and I was able to put a gap on a guy from Minnesota who had been breathing down my neck.  The race was a little longer than I thought it would be, just over 5k, with the first half actually being quite runnable.  Kilian won in 46:14, which is kind of ridiculous on that course.  Splits were about 25 minutes to the top of Swiftcurrent, and about 29 minutes going up Bonecrusher.  Calves were a little tight, but other than that things went well.  Got to chat a bit with Kilian, Emelie, Rickey Gates.  Excited for tomorrow!

Saturday, 9/13--Rut 50k, 15th place

10,868', 6:20:44

Such a fun and tough race!  This went well, but I know I could do better if I went back.  I started off pretty conservatively, running with the lead women for the first hour or so, in around 30-somethingth place, and then gradually moving up the field for the next couple hours.  When I caught Jeff Krar (Rob Krar's brother) on Bonecrusher, he pushed me the whole second half of the race and we finished together.  I'm pretty happy with my performance, and my goal was top 20, but I feel like it's possible to go under 6 hours on this course eventually, and finish top 10.  Maybe not next year, but it's a race I'll definitely want to focus on again.

Race report to come.

Sunday, 9/14--Off (recovering)


17,314', 8:30

I feel exhausted.  This wasn't a big week except for the race, but The Rut took it out of me.  It's several notches above any other race I've done in terms of grit.  I feel okay, but I've got a nice bruise on my shin from a fall in the race, and am mentally out of it.  My muscles aren't too sore, but I want to make sure to recover well for The Bear 100 in 12 days.  A short hiatus is called for.


Jamil Coury finishing the VK

Rickey Gates cheering runners on



It's tough to stay ahead of these women!

Some of the best mountain runners in the world


A link to a Salomon video of athletes training on my favorite section of the course:



1 comment:

  1. Wondering if I can use that photo you have of me at the Rut VK? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete