Sunday, July 6, 2014

June 30th to July 6th

Monday, 6/30--Backyard Loop

3,313', 2:13

I basically ran to Pattee Canyon via Crooked Canyon, up University, across to Sentinel, down to the "M", and back across on the Fire Road, making a big square, with only one big climb and a lot of flat fast stuff.  The legs are feeling good, with just a slightly tight right calf.  I'd like to do this loop again, maybe including another climb and descent in somewhere.

Tuesday, 7/1--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

2k, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 @ 10k pace w/a cool down run, ~1:15

This was the first really warm day Missoula's had, with temps in the high 80's during the workout, and a hose showering runners off in lane 2.  I hovered between 81 and 84 second quarters, except for the last 400 in 75 seconds.  My 2k split felt easy at 6:56 (5:32 mile pace), which was a good start to a confidence building workout.  And the heat wasn't too bad, but I went through a lot more water than usual.

Wednesday, 7/2--South Sentinel, Sentinel

5454', 2:22

My first good hill workout in awhile.  Also, first snake sighting of the year!  I was out running before 7 AM to avoid the heat, and it still felt hot by the end.  I can't wait to hit the hills everyday after I'm done with the marathon, but it's probably wise to take a few hill days off a week right now.

Thursday, 7/3--Pattee Canyon NRA (the other kind of NRA)

1,755', 1:07

A late evening outing exploring some new trails.  I didn't realize Pattee Canyon actually had some good sized hills!  I skirted off onto a minimally used trail heading up a ridge line towards Mitten Mt., but had to turn back before hitting the summit since it was getting late and I had no idea how far I had to go.  I'm realizing there are a lot of trails around here that aren't labeled on any map.  I was already overwhelmed looking at all the trails on the map.  Now I'll be trying to imagine where more surprise trails might exist.

Friday, 7/4--Stuart Peak

4,345', 3:10

The alpine is finally opening up, but the last mile to the summit still had a good bit of snow.  I'm excited to start doing some big runs in the Rattlesnake Wilderness now that snow isn't covering the trails.  I'd also like to do this run again, and see how far below 3 hours I can get it.

Saturday, 7/5--Off

Sunday, 7/6--Sheep Mt. via Woods Gulch TH

5,014', 3:28

Another long day in the Rattlesnake!  I'm looking forward to getting really familiar with this area, but right now it's big enough and untraveled enough and still obscure enough in my mind that I still feel the need to have a plan and a route in mind before I head out.  This will be my last long run before the marathon, but I can't wait to do some really big runs in the Rattlesnake.



19,881', 13:35

A moderate week spent exploring some new trails, and getting some flatter running in.  I'm not sure if this was good preparation or not for the Missoula Marathon in a week, but I'd rather spend time exploring new terrain than run a few minutes faster on the road.  I feel pretty good about sub-2:40, and that's good enough for me.  The marathon is still kind of short and fast for me, but I need to work my weaknesses (flat road running).






New perspectives--University Mt. from Mt. Mitten ridge line



Upper Twin Lakes, below Stuart Peak

Mosquito Peak, something for the next trip

Town over 4,500' below


Rattlesnake Canyon (and Stuart Peak on the left)


St. Vincent's new album is my favorite yet (and my favorite of the year so far):




No comments:

Post a Comment