Sunday, June 29, 2014

June 23rd to June 29th

Monday, 6/23--Table Top Mt., Lee Metcalf Wilderness

3,464', 2:04

The legs felt surprisingly good after a day off, so I took it easy up the mountain.  A good bit of snow blocked the trail by the summit, so I reverted to a goat trail for the last half mile.  The only rock glacier I know of is right below this mountain (a talus field that slowly moves, like an actual glacier).  The trail heading down from Lava Lake is a little rocky, and the legs felt responsive enough to breeze down this section.

Tuesday, 6/24--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

5 x 1k w/2 min. rests + a 200 meter sprint, then a 3 mile cool down w/Taylor & Eric, ~1:15

I started out a little slow, at about 3:35 (~5:40 pace), gauging how my legs were feeling.  I hung out around 3:30 until the second half of the last k, getting somewhere under 3:20 (~5:20 pace).  30 seconds for the 200 meter sprint.  This was an encouraging workout, since I haven't run flats for a while.  5:40 pace feels really sustainable right now.  Afterwards, I ran a slightly hilly cool down with some of the faster guys, but couldn't keep pace with them on the one steep hill.  Ugh, my legs are still a little dead on inclines.

Wednesday, 6/25--Sheep Mt. Wandering

3,476', 2:24

Ran up to 7,000', and then took a right turn onto a double track that ended up going the wrong way.  I followed the ridgeline for awhile until I finally got a good view of Sheep Mt., way to the north and on an entirely different ridgeline.  I doubled back and took the correct trail, but it was still under a couple feet of snow, which was now soft and mushy.  I decided to turn around, since I didn't want to compromise my recovery anymore than I already am.

Thursday, 6/26--Off (Al & Vic's, Sean Kelly's)

Friday, 6/27--Kim Williams Trail Progression Run

10 miles, 1:04

This went pretty well, but I had a bit of GI distress at the end, which kept me from really pushing the pace.  First 2 miles were at 7ish minute pace, then 3 at 6:30ish pace, and then 5 miles at 6ish pace.  I was hoping to get the last 2 miles at 5:40 pace, but that wasn't going to happen.  This was a bit of a sobering reminder for what 6 flats feel like on not fresh legs, but I'm also taking comfort in the fact that I was running on dirt and not paved trail at the end, and the first run after a late night out drinking is always a little crappy.

Saturday, 6/28--Blue Mt. Bushwacking

4,056', 5:16

I got so lost.  I cut over to the Hayes Creek trail from the Blue Mt. Trailhead, took that to the summit, and then mistakenly figured I'd be able to find my way down alright.  I went off a traveled road to an unused road winding beneath some powerlines, and this took me to a dead end after several miles.  Then I decided to travel cross country down a creek, which ended up being O'Brien Creek.  This took a really long time, despite being able to run short stretches of game trail, and I got really dehydrated (I had no water with me).  When I finally hit road, I laughed out loud at the first sign I saw--"Private Land Next 1/2 Mile, Please Stay On Road".  I was so glad to be on the road again.  I made it, and now I know what cross country travel here is like in the woods.  I also acquired quite the collection of burs, if anyone wants a few.

Sunday, 6/29--Off 

I wasn't planning on taking today off, but I need a break--I basically went right into work after yesterday's epic, and then had another shift this morning.  I'm actually putting running on the back burner today--it's a tough decision, but I want to not be dead when I go to the Fitz and the Tantrum's concert tonight.


10,996', 12:03

Not much vertical this week, but a fair amount of time.  It's a recovery week, and I'm getting into the flats a bit for the Missoula Marathon in two weeks.  This was a bit of a wonky week, with a few social activities, which were good and needed, but have definitely left me a little more mentally exhausted than usual.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the grindstone this next week.

On the way to Lava Lake

Lava Lake

The Spanish Peaks



Miller Creek from Blue Mt.

Lolo Peak


The path less traveled sometimes takes all day ...

And then there's a dead end ...

So you go cross country via game trails ...

And get burs on your hairy legs


Excited to see these guys tonight (their drummer, John Wicks, is a local trail runner):








No comments:

Post a Comment