Sunday, May 4, 2014

April 28th to May 4th

Monday, 4/28--Sentinel x 2, South Sentinel x 1

6,155', 2:45

A long run after a long day, but it was good to get out.  I've been getting into a rhythm where each hill becomes a little easier mentally.  Every time I hit these trails I notice something different, even if it's just seeing something at a new angle I hadn't noticed before.  But there are certainly things that are becoming quite familiar--certain rocks become old friends, and each switchback is becoming well known enough that I can picture them in order.  I love these damn trails.

Tuesday, 4/29--South Sentinel + Smokejumper + North Ridge of Pengelly

5,284', 2:32

A longish run on the first warm day in awhile, during the warmest part of the day (low 60s).  I suppose my body will adjust to the warm temps, eventually.  At least Smokejumper offered some shade.  The legs felt a little weighed down, which is okay, but my splits to the summits and back were on par with my moderate pace days.  I'm expecting to feel beat up this week.

Wednesday, 4/30--University + Sentinel + N. Ridge Pengelly

6,716', 3:02

I felt really good on this run.  It wasn't particularly fast, but I was in cruise mode the whole run.  Knowing that I'll be able to relax when I get home, rather than study for a test or catch up on homework, is really healthy for my running.  It allows me to relax a little more while I'm still out on the run.

Thursday, 5/1--Smokejumper Loop w/Jimmy, John, Kristina, Steve

2,016', 1:29

A group of five!  That's the largest group so far this year.  I think we all chatted for the whole run, so it went by pretty fast.  Plans for some summer runs/races are starting to enter my mind, and the flowers are starting to come out.  I love this town.

Friday, 5/2--Sentinel x 4

7,298', 2:57

I'm really happy with this workout.  Each run up and down was between 43 and 45 minutes (averaging about 29 up, 15 down), and I was in a good mood until I finished and kind of zoned out (dehydration).  There's nothing like running 3 hours in the early afternoon sun for heat training!  I need to work on not hunching over so much when going up steep stuff, but otherwise I think I've got my hill form and legs back.

Saturday, 5/3--Off (busy!)

Sunday, 5/4--University, Pattee Canyon, Sentinel, a loop on the "M", North Ridge of Pengelly

~7,600' (didn't realize watch wasn't registering vert. due to a full memory), 3:48

Fog, rain, mud, and a bit of sunshine at the end.  That's my kind of prefect for running weather.  I'm pretty sure I got at least 7,600 feet of gain in, since I'm usually pretty good at coming in just a bit over what I aim for, and kept my eye on the barometer at summits, saddles and valleys.  A lot of long, slow miles, and some new terrain for me.  I popped out on what must be FR449 after following a series of trails down from University, and it looks like I can loop that back up with Crooked Canyon.  Definitely something worth checking out in the future.



~35,069', 16:33

A week fit for summer training.  I was able to feel the volume in my legs most of the week, but I'm still not slowing down, which means I'm not beating myself into the ground.  This will be my last big week (over 25k) for a little while, so that I can work on speed a little bit more, which has kind of been put on the back burner.



Down University's South Ridge



20 feet of visibility!






Angel Olsen--folk rock with a touch of Chris Isaak or Roy Orbison, so damn good.  Burn Your Fire For No Witness might be my favorite record so far this year:






No comments:

Post a Comment