Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 5th to May 11th

Monday, 5/5--University + South Sentinel

5,391', 2:29

Another fog to sunshine run, with a bit of rain and wind.  The legs felt a little slow, and it took 1:02 to get to University, as opposed to the usual :59.  Running in the fog might be second only to running above the fog.  I love being close to the clouds!

Tuesday, 5/6--South Sentinel + Sentinel

4,118', 1:52

This was a little faster than I'd been anticipating, given that yesterday was a little slow.  I think it must have been the end-of-semester-stress that sped me up a little bit beyond where I'm at in recovering from all the cumulative gain.  I'm probably stressing out more than I should, but it's enough that I know I shouldn't try fitting in huge days right now.

Wednesday, 5/7--South Sentinel + North Pengelly

3,016', 1:24

I felt some more speed coming back, and hit South Sentinel's summit a couple minutes faster than yesterday.  After averaging over two and a half hours per run for awhile, anything under two hours feels a little short and a little easier to recover from.  On my way back down, I ran into Tim Mosbacher, and we ran down Pengelly and the switchbacks together.  It's good to see that guy getting a healthy dose of hills for Bighorn 100.

Thursday, 5/8

Midday--Smokejumper Loop w/Jimmy, Jed & Mitty

1,961', 1:17

The usual route at a good clip with a Schnauzer named Mitty and company.  We chatted on the way up, but went down at a quick enough speed that my mind was a little more focused on where the rocks were than on chatting.  A good workout in the middle of a busy day.

Evening--Trail Night @ Runner's Edge

739', 51 minutes

Such a great night!  Not only does Missoula have great access to miles of trails, but Runner's Edge is the kind of store that makes that access count in the running community.  After a short run in the North Hills with some of the best folks in town, free beer, snacks, and some killer presentations rounded the night out (oh, and a raffle--I won stuff!).  All of the money will be going to a trail project put on by the Montana Trail Crew.  I'm so lucky to be in this town, and to be a runner.  It's a little hard to imagine being anywhere else.

Friday, 5/9--Off

Saturday, 5/10--Spartan Event (I refuse to call that thing a race) w/Little & Family

1,638', 54 minutes

I'm very confused as to what happened today.  I ran well, and got under last year's winning time, but am unsure if I got the fastest time or where I ended up in the standings (it cost $30 extra to be in the Elite Wave, be eligible for prizes, and not have to deal with crowds).  Waves went out at 15 minute intervals, and I caught up to the tail end of the previous wave about 5 minutes in, already well ahead of my wave, but from there on out it was a lot of pushing past walkers and joggers, and working my way around them on obstacles.  Occasionally the terrain would open up and allow for me to cruise past folks, but it was a very crowded course (over 3,000 entrants!).  It was fun to watch other folks do the obstacles, but this event is far from the home grown, low key, scenic courses I've come to love.  It's an invasive species.

At least I didn't sign up for something like a Spartan cruise, which seems like a paradox.  I guess modern day Spartans do luxury.

An article to come.

Sunday, 5/11--Pengelly/Fire Road Loop w/Jed

2,173', 1:41

A casual, early morning (6:30 AM) run up into the snowy weather.  I actually felt sore (triceps, trapezius, hamstrings), and my right knee felt a little stiff from yesterday.  This might be the last snowstorm Missoula sees, so I'm glad I was able to take advantage of it, and glad I got to get a run in with Jed before he heads back to Utah.




19,036', 10:28

A great and strange week.  I'm still trying to process the Spartan Event, and it felt like kind of a shock to the system.  I never want to see so much machismo again.  Trail night, however, was the highlight of the week.  I'm feeling good--feeling fast--and looking forward to the first trail race of the year next Sunday, at Eleven Miles to Paradise.  I'd be happy to get on the podium, but getting a win will be tough there.

Fog up on University

Up on Sentinel with the crew

Trail runners out en masse for Trail Night

An unusual (for me) post-race scene.  Food you have to pay for.

The crowds, and racers standing in line at an obstacle, "racing"

My Little, Eli, killing the 1 mile kids race

More stuff to buy (not what I think of as a Spartan lifestyle)


Snow!



Another new artist I could listen to all day, Valerie June:








No comments:

Post a Comment