Sunday, April 27, 2014

April 21st to April 27th

Monday, 4/21--South Sentinel + Sentinel + the "M" + a bit of University

5,240', 2:21

I usually don't get out running so late in the evening (5-7:30), and was surprised to see so many people on the "M" trail on a weekday.  It's good to see the trail getting so much use after MTCC and some other folks worked on it last Saturday!  The heat wasn't a problem at all, but I need to figure out my eating schedule if I'll be running this late.  I was starving by the time I got back home!  My legs felt sore throughout the run, so I held back a little bit--I think that 4+ hour run put me behind a bit on recovery.

Tuesday, 4/22--Off (soreness/general lack of motivation)

Wednesday, 4/23--South Sentinel x 3

5,633', 2:26

My legs felt good, but not springy.  I kept it at a sustainable pace, so hopefully I can still keep recovering a bit despite the large vert. from today.  I don't think it was all the gain on Saturday's run that killed me--it was continuing to run while already dehydrated that did me in.  It's definitely something I'll need to start staying on top of.

Thursday, 4/24--South Sentinel + Sentinel

4,122', 1:52

Up Pengelly, down the north ridge of Sentinel and back.  I ran this fresh after a rainstorm, and the slippery rocks and fog reminded me of The Rut 50k.  That's the race that keeps me inspired to train as much as I do.  The legs felt a little less worn than yesterday.

Friday, 4/25--Intervals on Crooked Canyon/South Sentinel Loop

5 x 8 minutes on, 2 minutes off + cool down

2,129', 1:08

Finally, some speed work again.  This certainly felt a lot more fun than the track workouts, and it's something I think I can stick with.  Running on the first part of Crooked Canyon felt good--it's been awhile since I've gotten a couple miles of fast turn over in.  By the 4th interval, I was feeling a little drained--2 minutes is just enough to let the sweat cool a bit, but not enough to get the heart back to a normal bpm.  After 5 reps, I hit the summit of South Sentinel, and ran down at a moderate pace back home.

Saturday, 2/26--Hills, a lot of hills

8,273', 4:02

Up University, down Crooked Canyon, back up, down Smokejumper, back up, down Sentinel, up north ridge of Pengelly, down, and a bit more up on the fire road.  I didn't feel nearly as exhausted as I had on last weeks long run.  A bit of snow, a bit of rain.  I was able to make it on just two granola bars and 15 oz. of water.  Old Gabe is 8 weeks away, and I'm fairly sure by then I'll be able to go hard for 11,000 ft. of climbing.  This was semi-casual, pushing it a little bit, but also hiking the steep sections and taking my time to snap some pictures, change layers, eat, etc.

Sunday, 2/27--South Sentinel x 2 + the "M"

4,777', 2:06

Up via Pengelly the first time, up the north ridge of Pengelly for the final climb.  That north ridge just doesn't let up.  Legs felt fine, not terribly sore, but it seemed a bit like everything was a tad steeper than usual.


30,174', 13:55

I was aiming to get above 30k.  It's a number that kind of intimidates me, but I'm glad I did it.  I think Saturday's long run was the first time I've gotten into an ultra mindset in awhile, just focusing on one hill at a time.  I'm getting to the point, also, where it's getting a little more difficult to fit weekday runs in.  Thankfully, the days are already over 14 hours long, and the nights are becoming warm enough for running.
                       


                         

A mist shrouded Mt. Jumbo



Steam rising from the Clark Fork River


From rain into snow


Greatness.  I was able to see Arcade Fire a couple years ago--possibly the best show I've been to:



No comments:

Post a Comment