Sunday, November 9, 2014

Nov. 3rd to Nov. 9th

Monday, 11/3--Off

Tuesday, 11/4--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

Fartleks @ 5k pace, 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1 minute efforts, ~50 minutes w/warmup and cool down

I'm still recovering from MT Cup, but it actually felt good to get on some asphalt for the first time in a while.  I'm glad to have some folks right on my tail and Forrest to chase--that guy is fast!  I've no idea on my pace.

Wednesday, 11/5--Exploring Obscurity in the Sapphires

3,778', 1:45

After getting a good hill in (S. Sentinel), I decided to check out a trail I'd always noticed but never been on, on the north aspect of Sentinel.  It turns out it was a game trail, and it turns out that it ends (or, rather, I felt disinclined to continue on) at a steep chute with a bunch of downed trees.  Not runnable terrain.  I also ran up the easy way going up Sentinel for the first time (I'd only run down in the past).  It feels a lot steeper going up than going down.  Legs felt better, still sore.

Thursday, 11/6--Route Scouting

3,199', 1:32

I worked out a few shortcuts for Saturday's adventure/poker race.  Yeah, the shortcuts involve off trail travel, but at the same time I feel like I learn more about mountains and hills when going off the trail.  Is the damage I do worth the experience?  Probably not, for a short answer.  I don't want to get into a tangential debate with myself here, though.

Friday, 11/7--More Scouting

1,164', 52 minutes

Went up to familiarize myself with some trails in the Pattee Canyon area.  I was able to work out one more, significant shortcut for tomorrow's course.  Should be fun!

Saturday, 11/8--Phall Phatty Phringe

5,059', 2:49

I won the Shellac Gourd!  Woohoo!  This was a really fun event, complete with a potluck and a prize raffle (anyone want an XL Lady's Big Sky t-shirt?).  I stayed near the back of the pack at the beginning, and went the least traveled way (via shortcut to Crazy Canyon) with Jimmy Grant.  We ran the rest of the route together, improvising based on where we thought other runners had gone.  This is kind of an unusual race--6 decks of cards were placed out in the mountains, and runners had to come back with the best poker hand.  Ties were broken by the fastest time.  There was some off trail stuff, a good bit of road running, some steep trail, mellow trail--a bit of everything.  Jimmy and I came in together as the first who had gone to all 6 points, both with a royal flush.  He let me have the gourd, since he had collected last year's gourd (would anyone want two of those?).  Run went well, but running downhill on pavement put a toll on the quads--I was surprised to get some 6 minute miles in on the roads.  This is the last hurrah of trail running for Montana.  Excited for the film fest tonight!

Sunday, 11/9--South Sentinel

1,874', 52 minutes

After staying up till 2 AM, I felt kind of groggy in the morning.  I finally made it out the door just before noon, but felt kind of awful--not used to nights out.  I cut the workout short, just settling for an easy up and down on the same old hill.  Snow should be coming tonight!


15,074, 8:40

With the coming storm, it's unlikely I'll get this much time or vert. in a week for the rest of the year.  Feeling ready to settle down and recoup for awhile, maybe focus a bit more on speed, but a lot more on studying.  Saturday was the most fun I've had in awhile, maybe since The Rut.  I've heard talk of a chocolate milk mile that may be going down this next week--it's that time of the year now where running becomes more goofy than usual, because it takes goofs to run through the winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment