Sunday, July 20, 2014

July 14th to July 20th

Monday, 7/14--Off

Tuesday, 7/15--Shake Out on South Sentinel

3,039', 1:34

It took about 15 minutes for my calves to loosen up on the hill, but I feel so much better after this run.  A bit of rain, some distant thunder, and heavy clouds.  I also tested out my new running pack for the first time (AK Race Vest)--seems good, but I'll have to load it down and do a long run this weekend to really test it.

Wednesday, 7/16--South Sentinel, Sentinel Gulch

4,000', 2:12

My watch reported nearly 5,000', but I think sometimes it just goes a little crazy.  Legs felt better, but still stiff and sore.  I suppose it will just be easy runs until I recover enough, maybe a few more days.

Thursday, 7/17--Smokejumper Loop w/Matt Flaherty

2,000', 1:06

My watch added on another 1,000 ft. again, so 2,000 is a close guess.  The legs actually felt good!  And just in time to run with Salomon athlete and 5:33 50 miler, Matt Flaherty.  I'm looking forward to watching that guy race the White River 50 miler coming up.  After the run, the legs still felt a bit sore, but recovery is actually happening.

Friday, 7/18--Off

Saturday, 7/19--Lolo Peak

4,281', 2:44

Legs still felt a bit dead, but it was a good run overall.  I got off trail going down Lolo, and realized that I really need to brush up on rocky terrain--time to start training for the Rut!  Smoke wasn't too much of an issue, and I was able to see over the cloud of smoke below from the summit.  My first run in the Bitterroots.

Sunday, 7/20--Exploring Snowbowl

4,314', 2:14

Such a good outing!  I was really tempted to keep running further, after I spied another big 1,000'+ ft. slope to climb, but am still a little worried about compromising my recovery.  The climb up to Point Six was right at an hour taking a gulch up the a trail up to the road, which felt fast compared to the rest of this week, and I had a good run bombing down a slope at the bottom of TV Mountain.  This is definitely a place to return to, and it seems like proper training for The Rut 50k.


17,634', 9:50

A week on the shorter end of things, mainly focused on recovery.  Each day the legs have been feeling better, but I want to hold off from anything really big until I know it won't delay my recovery.  That being said, next Saturday will be a 50+ mile social run with some of Missoula's finest.  Once I'm recovered, I have a long line of things to go after, and hope to start getting in at least one 5+ hour run a week.

Matt Flaherty cruising down Sentinel




Carlton Lake



Beargrass!


Point Six, National Weather Service Station

Town about 4,500' below

So many steep and grassy hills!



A song I've been hooked on--the guitar bits remind me of Dinosaur Jr., so good--




No comments:

Post a Comment