Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 7th to April 13th

Monday, 4/7--Mt. Sentinel

1,915', 38:15

I wanted to give a good effort on Sentinel, hoping to break 40 minutes roundtrip.  I took it easier on the way down than on the way up, realizing that sub 40 was in the bag, with splits at about 25 minutes, and 13 minutes.  I'm pretty happy with this, but there's still room to knock a few minutes off.

Tuesday, 4/8--South Sentinel

1,917, 40:23

Two fast and short workouts in a row might not be the best plan, but I just felt good, and figured I could get a new best time on South Sentinel.  Taking the direct route, I hit the summit in 26:45, and ran down in 13 and change.  This was from my apartment door to the Pengelly rock.  Even early-ish in the day, with the temps in the low 50s, this still felt really warm.

Wednesday, 4/9--Crooked Canyon to South Sentinel

2,189', 1:16

I went out at an easy pace, and was happy to find an almost entirely dry Crooked Canyon.  Things are becoming a little greener, which might have been part of why this run felt really good.  It was nice to get a bit of flat in, skirting the slopes of South Sentinel.  I peeked at Smokejumper Trail a bit, and it seems to be in the same condition as Crooked Canyon.

Thursday, 4/10--Smokejumper Loop w/Jimmy, Jed, John

1,990', 1:28

Smokejumper is finally starting to dry out, but the upper sections still have a few sections that require walking.  We ran at an easy pace, chatting for most of the run.  It's really great getting out with these guys.

Friday, 4/11--Off

Saturday, 4/12--University Mt. + North Pengelly Trail

4,740, 2:10

I enjoy running in the rain every now and then, so I waited until the afternoon so I could hit the trails in the rain/snow.  This recovery week seems to be working, because the pace felt easy, but this was my first time hitting the summit of University in less than an hour from my apartment (better trail conditions may have helped as well).  The view was limited to a couple hundred feet at times, and the snow fell in big, fat, wet flakes.  Such a good outing.  I feel as though I've held back just enough to get hungry for more trail again.

Sunday, 4/13--Dean's House to Franklin Bridge and back

839', 3:32

An easy long run, maybe 21 or 22 miles, getting 8 miles back into the Rattlesnake Recreation Area.  There was a good bit of running on snow, which made the miles a little slow going for flattish terrain.  It's nice to finally be getting back into the woods again--8 miles from a road is the most remote I've been for over half a year!  The snow getting to the bridge was compact and minimally icy, but heading deeper into the Rattlesnake would be questionable right now (I think most of the trails get steeper from thereon).


13,590, 9:44

A bit of a recovery week with a long flat run at the end.  I'm getting better at hills, but might be sacrificing some of my turnover on flats.  That 22 mile flat run felt like more work than big days of vertical, maybe a sign that I need to balance hills with flats a little more.  I'm feeling good though, and am anxious to see how I handle loading more volume on now that I've recovered a bit.

John, Jed and Jimmy admiring Jumbo and the Rattlesnake from Sentinel

Snow highlighting the route down University

Rattlesnake Creek by Franklin Bridge

Ken, Doug, Tim and Dean deep in the Rattlesnake


Thee Oh Sees (really been getting into this band this year):










No comments:

Post a Comment