Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 24th to March 30th

Monday, 3/24--Pengelly back and forths

3,073', 1:20

This route covered a few short out and backs--up South Sentinel, down to the gravel pit, back up and down to Maurice, back up to the beginning of the ridge and then down.  I feel like Sentinel and University may be a good bit more runnable soon, but I'm still loving hitting the ridge every day.

Tuesday, 3/25

AM--Up Pengelly, down Crooked Canyon to the cabin and back

3,560', 1:53

Well, the hilly section of Crooked Canyon is still pretty snow covered, especially from the Crazy Canyon junction to the saddle.  Running down this seemed a little dangerous in parts, so I probably ran down this as fast as it took me to get back up to the saddle.  Now that I know the route, it seems like it wouldn't be too bad running a Crooked Canyon/Pengelly loop counter-clockwise, until the snow melts.

PM--Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

2 sets of 4 x 800s, with 90 sec. rests and 5 min. rest between sets      ~50 minutes

Splits were almost all 2:37 on the dot, with one 2:35 and one 2:40

Some fast guys are showing up at the track workouts now, so I've got someone to chase (distantly).  I'm getting better at sticking on a pace, but I still seem to run that first lap too fast--a few of the lap splits were something like 1:15, 1:22, which might have come from chasing someone going sub 2:30.

Wednesday, 3/26--Pengelly back and forths

2,518', 1:03

This had to have been the warmest run of the year so far, even with the wind.  Some accumulated fatigue is holding me back a bit on the uphills, but I'm still getting a bit faster on the downhills.  I'd like to work up to doing full repeats on this hill, but right now one out and back is a bit too small and two out and backs are a good bit too big for my weekday runs.

Thursday, 3/27--Pengelly w/Jed

1,717', 1:18

Ran up the M from Clark Fork, took Sentinel Fire Road over to Pengelly, turned around at the trees and took the roads back downtown.  The weather today made the run even better, dipping into and then rising above a layer of clouds.  A light layer of snow made the running a little slower, but not much, and Pengelly as usual was runnable even with this bit of snow.

Friday, 3/28--Off

Saturday, 3/29--Sentinel Exploring

5,332', 2:16

A day well spent exploring the steeps of Sentinel.  I ran/power hiked up the direct route (along the fence line) going up South Sentinel, took the North Ridge of Sentinel, headed back up Sentinel, down the super steep North Pengelly Ridge, back up, and down the Pengelly Trail.  That last bit going up North Pengelly Ridge felt kind of brutal, and I was thankful for the steepest hill also being the shortest (only 1,100').  Over a mile of up, and I held up alright, but I definitely wasn't bombing down Pengelly at the end like usual.

Sunday, 3/30--More Sentinel Exploring

4,094', 1:46

Power hiked straight up South Sentinel, took the North Ridge down, and then followed a trail heading up a gully into some trees, which I soon discovered was still covered with snow and ice.  I took this trail until I lost it, cut over to a trail skirting Sentinel, went down to the fire road, back up Pengelly's North Ridge, and down the Pengelly Trail.



20,294', 10:26

A good week full of some new trails and steep terrain.  I think I've finally hit all the hidden trails and side trails on the west slopes of the Sapphire's.  And I also have a pretty good idea now of what trails are in what kind of condition, and the relative gain of each side trail.  I don't think I could ever really get tired of these trails, since there are a seemingly endless possibility of trail link ups.



Clark Fork and Downtown below Sentinel

A snowy stretch of trail on upper Crooked Canyon

Fresh snow on the Sentinel Fire Road

Cloud Running


Near the summit of Sentinel


Pengelly's North Ridge, the quad buster






Tunes:






No comments:

Post a Comment