Sunday, February 2, 2014

Jan. 27th to Feb. 2nd

Monday, 1/27, Kim Williams Trail

6 miles, 37 minutes

This was a primer of sorts for Saturday's race, speeding up little by little throughout the run, with miles starting at about 6:20 and dropping to 6 flat for the last couple miles.  If I don't do anything stupid, I should be able to get under 1:01 for the 10 mile race, though breaking an hour would really be pushing it for me.  Also, 37 minutes is about the perfect allotted time for a run sandwiched between classes and changing into and out of running clothes.  Trying to be on time for class definitely helped me to push it at the end.

Tuesday, 1/28, Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

10 miles, 1:30

Woah, there were about 15 people who actually came of their own will to run intervals in the dark (on a well lit trail, but past sunset nonetheless).  Missoula is still kind of blowing my mind.  I ran from my apartment to Runner's Edge, then ran 3 x 2k with the group on the Kim Williams Trail, with 3 minute rests in between.  I ran pretty consistent low 7's for 2k (about 5:40 pace for the mile), well under my race target.  I guess I should stop being surprised by the running in Missoula, but it was impressive to see most of the runners doing sub 4 minute k pace, almost as impressive as seeing so many people out past sunset!  I ran back at a fairly slow, comfortable pace back to the apartment.

 Wednesday, 1/29, Kim Williams (again!)

8 miles, 1:01

Another day out on the KW.  I think I'm liking this trail so much because it's close to campus, and I always see runners out on it, plus it's pretty.  This was a run in the middle of a two hour break between classes.  Fresh snow on the ground, and a slight bit of wind coming from the west, at least enough to blow snow in my face.

Thursday, 1/30, Smokejumper Loop w/Jimmy

12 miles, 1:56

Ran up to the Clark Fork to meet for the Thursday MTC run, and it ended up being just Jimmy and I.  The fresh snow made it a pretty slow but tough run, especially with the ice hidden beneath it.  We took Smokejumper up to Sentinel, and tried not to eat it on the Pengelly Ridge Trail back down.  Another day of 2,000+ vertical.

Friday, 1/31--Off (Yoga, Weights, Fitness Consultation & Body Composition)

A day at the gym, taking advantage of a week of free services.  I learned that I've got even less fat on me than I thought (<5%), so that means more eggs, maybe even adding some meat into my diet on a routine basis, anything hefty but affordable (beans?).  I'll also be starting weights twice a week, which should help me to be a little less lean.  Adding on five pounds while running 80+ mile weeks will be difficult.

Saturday, 2/1, Freezer Burn 10 miler

10 miles, 58:56, 1st place *Downhill course, packed snow

What a good race (and good beyond the fact that I won)!  My race went fairly well--this isn't as competitive as most of the races I'll do this year, so it was a good practice race, but I still had to work hard for the win.  Trisha Drobeck took off quick at the start, and no one else went after her, so I just lurked for awhile, and made a move just past mile 7, then increased the pace to 5:40-something's to secure some ground.  My last mile was 5:30-something, pretty solid for me.  This was also a negative split race, with the first 5 miles in 29:40 and the last 5 in 29:16, good considering the only hill in the course is in the second half.

This was my race to win, since none of the dozen + guys in Missoula who could have gone sub 58:00 were there, but it felt good to have a win.  I won't be expecting even to podium at the Snow Joke Half Marathon in three weeks, but I will expect to get under 1:20.

And the minestrone and scones after the race were excellent.

Sunday, 2/2, North Hills

14 miles, 2:04

With a bit of snow wallowing, I was able to head from my apartment up the Waterworks Hill, and out to the Sunlight Loop.  Somehow I, once again, missed a trail link up, this time to the trail along Rattlesnake Creek.  Northside trails will have to be set aside for future exploration.


60 miles, 8:07

Some flats, some hills, a race, some snow wallowing.  This was a good week, and the return to winter has made for some more quality miles.  Time management will become more important as I bump up the miles again, but so far balancing class, studying and running is working well, but I count on not having much of a life a few weeks from now.  "Not much of a life" would probably just mean watching less Star Trek.



Kim Williams

Jimmy Grant laying down fresh tracks on Smokejumper

Trails this good this close to town are hard to beat

Waterworks Hill

Town below, and Mt. Sentinel looming above on the left




Hey, where am I in these pictures?  Not in the front.


Yeah, I like pop.








No comments:

Post a Comment