Sunday, March 16, 2014

March 10th to March 16th

Monday, 3/10--South Sentinel

1882', 48 minutes

I'm getting more comfortable on hills again, so this hill is starting to seem a little smaller, a little faster, and the legs aren't becoming nearly as sore.  I'll probably run up this hill at least a hundred more times, so I suppose I should start keeping track of my PRs.


Tuesday, 3/11

Afternoon, Crooked Canyon Wandering

2051', 1:08

I set out to do a Crooked Canyon/Sentinel Loop, but got a little off track.  Before Crooked Canyon begins its ascent, I turned left off to a less traveled trail, thinking it was the one I was supposed to be on.  That trail disappeared pretty quickly, so I ran down the hill into a large gully, figuring out that there was no trail there either.  I was one gully short of the actual trail, but in the end I just traveled cross country up the hill until I found a choppy snow trail going through an opening in a fence.  This led me to South Sentinel, and I ran the usual route down Pengelly back home.

Evening, Intervals w/Run Wild Missoula

1 mile, 4 min. rest, 2 mile, 6 min. rest, 1 mile, all at 10k pace    

 ~50 minutes including warm up and cool down

Splits were 5:28, 11:22 (PR), 5:30.  I haven't even done a sub 36 minute 10k, so these were a little faster than they should be, maybe 5k pace.  The two mile split was 20 seconds faster than my PR, and at about 90% effort.  Something's working--weights, more frequent interval workouts, a consistent sleep pattern.  I'm definitely picking up speed.

Wednesday, 3/12--Mt. Sentinel-Pengelly Loop

2422', 1:27

I definitely underestimated how much snow lingered between Sentinel and South Sentinel.  It was like running in buckets.  At one point, again, I lost the trail, and regained it close to the summit of South Sentinel.  It was 50 degrees and sunny, which right now feels exhaustively warm.

Thursday, 3/13--Off (busy!)

Friday, 3/14--South Sentinel

1905', 46 minutes

I pushed it today, just to see how fast I could go.  The run was from my apartment door to the Pengelly rock on the summit.  Ascent: 29:40  Descent: 15:51  Roundtrip: 45:31.  Pengelly is a trail built for getting vertical in fast, so I'm sure a roundtrip on this could go under 40 minutes, even from the apartment.  I should be able to cut this mark down at least a dozen times, since this is kind of my go to run now.


Saturday, 3/15--Off (busy!)

Sunday, 3/16--Seven Hills Sunday

2303', 3:35 (may have been less vert./time than actual*)

A group run with an attrition rate.  I finally joined the Sunday run group from Dean's house, which has been going on, religiously, for 20 years.  I'm not actually too sure of the route we took, but it included Elk Ridge, Sawmill Gulch, the North Hills and Greenough Park.  It felt good to finally be on my feet for a long time, running at an easy pace.  My watch might have cut off a small part of the run accidentally.



10,563, 8:34

This week was a confidence builder.  I ran an easier-than-it-should-be two mile PR, got some speed in on the hills, and didn't feel too bad after running longer than I've run in months.  I also got to be a course marshal for the Run For the Luck Of It, and it was awesome to see so many people come out to run or walk.  It's almost the same thrill as racing, but without any toll on my body or my wallet.  This was also a fairly busy week, and I'm glad to have such close proximity to trails because most of these runs wouldn't have happened if they weren't close by.



Low lying clouds on Pengelly

Tim, Anya, Jed and Dean on the North Hills






I have no idea what she's saying, but it's really calming:










No comments:

Post a Comment