Sunday, January 5, 2014

Keeping the Log

This is part of my New Year's resolution.  I'll keep a journal of my training/races, in the hopes that I might understand how stupid I am if I end up getting injured.  Or how smart I am if I do well in a race.  This will probably make me think about training more (right now my training philosophy is: run a lot of miles, most of them slow, and take a day off at least once a week).  A more thoughtful training should show itself come race time.


Monday, Yellowstone Trail Rd. with Monte

11 miles, 1:23

A moderately fast outing with a loop back on a gated (but possibly public?) dirt road running parallel to 89.  It was great to get out in Paradise Valley again, and to run at a sub 8 minute pace.  The beginning of the run was fairly icy, and microspikes would have been suitable for the first two miles.  Running with other people is the only way I can convince myself that running on ice is a good idea.

Tuesday, off (ice climbing)


Wednesday,  Convict Grade Rd. with Monte

9 miles, 1:03

This was my first time on this road!  I enjoyed looking at the ice formations in the river, and it was nice to put out a good effort on a workout without running alone.  On the way out, we were able to chat, with the wind at our back, but things got a little more serious running against the wind on the way back.  Mile splits went from 6:40s to 7:10s or so, the fastest longish run I've done in a few weeks.  After 3 miles in, we passed the last ranch, and it was just the dirt road rolling beneath Sheep Mountain.  A good start to the year!


Thursday,  Livingston Loop with Monte

9 miles, 1:16

Ran from the high school on my favorite route in town, which was quite muddy/icy/snow covered in the hilly section.  The relaxed pace felt needed after running at 7 minute pace on Wednesday.

Friday--off


Saturday, Fat Ass Run with Big Sky Wind Drinkers/Andy, Missouri Headwaters State Park

31 miles, 5:27

This was a good early test to see how I'd handle longer stuff, since I haven't run anything over 15 miles since October.  It wasn't an entirely smart decision to run this far, but it worked out well, and was good mental training for covering repetitive terrain (which I might do for 24 hours in late March).  The route was 2.5 k out on trail, or road, and then back.  10 times.  Andy and I ran the whole way together, staying at around 10 minute pace from beginning to end.  After 35k, everyone else had left, so it was just us running repeats.  The wind made going out easy, but coming back in pretty cold and slow.  Halfway through the run, the chicken noodle soup at the aid station started freezing, so I just ate cookies.  A lot of cookies.

Sunday--off


60 miles, 9:09

 
Monte on Convict Grade Rd.

 
On the Livingston Loop

The 5k trail out and back in Missouri Headwaters State Park



2014 Runs on My Mind:

Snow Joke Half Marathon, Seeley Lake, February

Pickled Feet 24 Hour Endurance Run, Idaho, late March

Old Gabe 50k, Bozeman, June

*Missoula Marathon, July

*Angel's Staircase 60k, Washington, August

Mystery Ranch 100, Pony, MT, August

*The Rut 50k and Lone Peak Vertical K, Big Sky, September

*Mt. Sentinel Hill Climb, Missoula, October

*Montana Cup, Missoula, October/November

*Starred races are ones I expect to be competitive, especially The Rut and Montana Cup. 



Some good tunes from Australia:





No comments:

Post a Comment