Sunday, January 19, 2014

Jan. 13th to Jan. 19th

Monday, 1/13, treadmill and weights

12 miles, 1:21 (3 miles in 23 minutes, weights, then tempo run at 9 miles in 58 minutes)

I'm horrible, I know.  It was snowing and windy and dark out, and I chose not to embrace the elements, but to stay warm and run on a conveyor belt like a mouse.  The only way I can stand to run on treadmills is to do tempo runs.  After a three mile warm up, and doing weights for all of five minutes, I set the treadmill at a 1% grade and kept the run at a 6:27 pace throughout, sweating profusely.  This workout increased my confidence for my first race of the year, the Freezer Burn 10 miler in two and a half weeks.  I'm guessing I should get under 1:03, unless road conditions are bad (which they may well be).

Tuesday, 1/14, out and back to Carter's Bridge from school

10 miles, 1:12

Low sevens feel really good right now.  I had to sneak this run in between a meeting that ended at 4:30, and one that started at 6.  Right as I was getting back in town it finally hit dark, so I ran with my headlamp for the last few miles, and then tried my best to look composed (like I hadn't just run 10 miles) for the meeting.  It's going to be so nice to be on a consistent schedule soon.

Wednesday, 1/15, field running

12 miles, 1:34

I ran from town back up the Swingley connector, and followed some dirt tracks in fields below Livingston Peak for a few miles.  I eventually came across private property, but then followed the fence line (and some dirt tracks) until it took me to a nice downhill headed towards Swingley Road.  Really nice outing, but it would have been better if I weren't fenced off.  One can never have too much land to explore.

Thursday, 1/16, intervals

7 miles, 0:57

The track is no longer snow covered!  Two mile warm up, then 1 x 800, 2 x 1 mile, 1 x 800 with 2 minute rests, followed by a two mile cool down.  I'm actually starting to like intervals (a.k.a. dinner rolls).  They have a much more cathartic effect than a long run.

Splits were 2:47, 5:43, 5:44, 2:49.  Warm up and cool downs were ~8:00 minute pace.

Friday, 1/17--Off

Saturday, 1/18, Convict Grade Rd. out and back
 
20 miles, 2:33

Another windy long run, this time with the second half in the headwind.  I suppose it's good for mental callusing, but my mind still doesn't feel callused, and the wind still feels like wind.  Splits were 1:08 for the first ten, 1:25 for the second ten, though the effort felt the same throughout.

Sunday, 1/19, Fleshman Creek Rd. out and back

14 miles, 1:44

Slightly windy, but Fleshman provides a bit of cover.  I ran from my house to save some time for packing.  More even splits this day, 54 and 50.  Also, the dogs that used to bark at me and nip at my heels weren't out today.  Good day.

75 miles, 9:21

A fast week, full of flat, solo running.  Next week I'll aim to run a little slower, but I just felt good this week and had some time constraints during the week that may have caused me to push it a little harder than I should.  I switched to running in Hokas for the second half of the week, and my knee pain went away.  The Hokas might not have had anything to do with it, but they certainly weren't making my knee any worse.  I've been feeling a little sore after running this week, but have felt ready to go come the next morning.  Missoula and a whole new trove of trails and roads are just three days away!

 Windswept snowpack below Livingston Peak


Running through fields out by Swingley

Crazy Mountains in the distance
 


Some tunes (my packing music):




No comments:

Post a Comment